How to remove chewing gum from the carpetRugeast.com
Removing gum from carpet is a challenge for many people. We explain exactly how to remove chewing gum from the carpet effectively and, most importantly, safely.
Steps to remove chewing gum from the carpet
Enclosed we explain to you on the basis of different methods how you can free your beautiful carpet from chewing gum simply and purposefully:
1. remove chewing gum from the carpet with ice
A simple but effective method is the ice pack immediately after the stain appears.
- Place a few handfuls of ice in a sealable bag.
- Place the ice pack directly on the gum stain. This makes the gum hard and easier to remove.
- Use a scraping tool such as a brush to scrape the rubber completely off the carpet.
- Wipe the gum stain directly with a cleaning liquid.
- Press a cloth on the gum stain to absorb the remaining liquid.
- Finally, lightly clean the gum with another cloth.
- If these steps do not lead to success, we have more tips for you.
2. use of disinfectant spray
Grab some disinfectant spray, a nail brush and a cleaning spray and follow the steps below.
- Spray a generous amount of disinfectant spray directly onto the gum stain.
- After applying the spray, leave the stain to act for a few minutes.
- Use the nail brush to remove the stain, scrub the stain in the same direction (choose from right to left or left to right. Just continue the same movement you started).
- Repeat the whole process if the chewing gum has not yet been removed.
3. use a hair dryer to remove chewing gum stains.
A hair dryer can be very useful to remove rubber stains from the carpet.
- Once you find the stain, point your hair dryer over it.
- Blow dry the rubber carefully, as carpet fibers can melt with a hair dryer.
- When you see the gum begin to melt, use a plastic bag to scrape off the melted gum. The gum should stick to the plastic so you can remove it more easily.
- Continue until the stain is gone.
4. clean the gum from the carpet with alcohol
Cleaning the rubber from the carpet with alcohol will cause the polymers in the rubber to break down. Methyl salicylate, known as wintergreen oil, is actually one of the components of gum that can be removed from carpet fibers with vinegar.
What you need:
- White cloth
- Apply a few drops of alcohol to the gum stain.
- Leave the solution to act for a few minutes.
- Wipe off the solution with a dry, clean, white cloth or paper towel.
- Repeat steps 1 to 3 as required.
- Heat ¼ cup of white vinegar in the microwave.
- Dip a clean white cloth or towel in vinegar and wipe it over the gum stain.
- Use a spatula, sharp knife, or the side of a spoon to scrape off as much gum as possible.
- Use an old toothbrush to brush out the remaining stain.
5.use vinegar to remove chewing gum from the carpet.
White vinegar has several uses, including removing gum from carpet. Perform the following steps in order:
- Heat a cup of white vinegar in the microwave.
- Dip a clean cloth or towel in vinegar and wipe it over the gums.
- Remove the gum with a sharp knife or the tip of a spoon.
- Use an old toothbrush to clean the remaining gums.
What should we do if the gum stain cannot be removed from the carpet?
If these methods do not work to remove chewing gum from the carpet, you should think about other solutions. Most often, chewing gum stains can be removed from the carpet using the above methods. But for certain types of carpet, especially sticky gum or gum that has been on the carpet for a while, these methods may not work. Although you may be tempted to remove the gum with acid, this method can damage the fibers of your carpet and even spread the gum over a larger area. If you fail to remove the gum from the carpet using the above methods, entrust this task to a reliable carpet cleaner who can help you with their expertise in this matter.